jonahpkeegan at Google’s webmail.
Product Management and Marketing
Does your product address existing or prospective customer’s pain points? Do you have buy-in on the business need and development roadmap from all of your stakeholders? Are multiple unique selling propositions being tested to launch your product with messaging that’s proven to generate new leads for your pipeline? If these questions are keeping you from a good night’s sleep, I can help.
I have launched internet products and websites into a variety of markets, including e-commerce, media, ad-technology and social networking. From needfinding to marketing communications, I use a customer development approach that tests problems and product concepts against customers and develops product to drive sales. Coordinating stakeholders for efficient development and launch is the product manager’s responsibility, validating against customers and optimizing for market success is the mission and measure of success I bring to your next product initiative.
- Listening. Customer calls and on-sites to discover needs and validate solutions.
- Building products that generate sales (Snapshirts.com) and creating messages that generate demand (Snapshirts, Right Media, FreshmanFund.com).
- Leadership of cross-functional teams including: marketing, communications, product management, web production, and business development.
- Visual communication, wireframes and mock-ups integral to effective development.
- Entrepreneurial mindset accustomed to big challenges and big changes.
- New media marketing. Blogger, social media and community marketing expertise.
|Freshman Fund||6 employees, Annual Sales – NA|
|VP Product Development||11/2007 – Present||New York, NY|
Freshman Fund is a startup lead-generation platform for college savings plans.
Lead product manager developing business case, marketing approach and technical specs for core features and services on FreshmanFund.com. Fully managed products include:
Operations: daily operation of automated mailing system; all customer support, FAQs and agent response scripts; QA script for all site upgrades; manage company expenditures and budgeting. Marketing: copywriting throughout site and beyond (email, blog, social network); data-driven guerilla marketing and public relations using Google Analytics. Business Development: Research, identify and engage business partners who will generate new users and/or new sales. Ongoing market research for business plan and fundraising.
- UI and marketing communications drive sustained 7% conversion rate at FreshmanFund.com
- Raised 30% of seed round from independent investors
- Managed PR outreach to over 1,200 blogs in personal finance, parenting, education and the environment
- Analytics-based marketing generated over 5,000 monthly uniques in H2’08 on $0 budget
- 4 of 5 star customer service satisfaction rating (as measured by LivePerson LLC)
- Published on industry blog networke9.
|Right Media||250 employees, Annual Sales $25-50MM|
|Market Analyst||10/2006 – 11/2007||New York, NY|
Right Media online ad exchange provides over 170 networks and 50,000 buyers and sellers open market price discovery and ROI-optimized delivery for over 6 billion impressions per day. Acquired by Yahoo!, Inc. for $720MM.
BrandSafe market feasibility research: industry analysis, customer interviews, case studies to segment publisher inventory by brand suitability. Market positioning and product specifications for ad inventory forecasting and reservations system used to sell premium ad campaigns on the exchange. Design and product specifications for creative auditing: internal user interface to improve efficiency of the ad auditing team, foster greater collaboration and real-time knowledge-sharing.
- Rated and categorized content for over 5,000 ad-supported websites
- Functional analysis of competing ad server at the application level (screen-by-screen)
- Market positioning research used to narrow scope of inventory reservations system
- Technical specification for ad forecasting and reservations
|Brontosaurus Media Inc||4 employees, Annual Sales NA|
|Founder||1/2006 – 9/2006||New York, NY|
“TV Guide for bloggers.” a content-mediated directory covering top blogs. Closed in fall 2006.
P&L responsibility for operations, sales and marketing. Managed 20 freelance authors and offshore transcription service. Web production: WordPress content management system and custom plug-in development.
- Grew staff to four FTEs sourcing, authoring, editing and publishing content daily
- Secured blog advertising partnership with Remix Media Ad Network
- Grew repeat visitors and inbound links by over 100% month-over-month.
|Snapshirts.com||3 partners, Lifetime Rev. $12,000|
|Founder||10/2005 – Present||New York, NY|
Online custom retail website targeting bloggers.
Conceived and launched in partnership with Matt Clark (http://www.gorgeswebsites.com/). Partnered with ArtApart for automated order and drop-ship fulfillment. Created downloadable custom image to drive viral blog marketing.
- Net profitable since March 2006.
- No-cost viral marketing maintains top Google search result for “word cloud”
- Generated email list containing 4,500 validated addresses, over 50% with active blogs
|Sturza’s Medical Research||17 employees, Hedge Fund|
|Editor||8/2005 – 3/2006||New York, NY|
Boutique equities research firm and biotechnology hedge fund.
Drafted and edited institutional biotechnology equities analysis covering 20+ companies for Sturza Medical Research. Produced weekly 800+ word investment newsletter covering 26 small-cap stocks.
|NOVA Japan||5,000+ emps, Annual Sales USD $500MM+|
|English Instructor||6/2004 – 6/2005||Tokyo, JAPAN|
Japanese commercial English language school.
|Modular Genetics inc||15 employees|
|Scientist||2001 – 2004||Boston, MA|
Platform technology for high-throughput molecular genetics and drug discovery.
Authored competitive analysis used to raise $1.5MM seed round. Trained and managed four laboratory technicians. Conducted independent laboratory research in molecular biology. Managed contract research, primary account contact for the company’s only revenue-generating line.
- Turned academic research into robust, market-ready technology solution
- Delivered products generating company’s first revenues
|Feedback Forum||200+ members|
|Founder||2/2007 – Present||New York, NY|
Intimate forum for technology entrepreneurs to discuss the operational and strategic issues confronting their startup with other entrepreneurs and domain professionals.
|Founder||4/12/2008||New York, NY|
BarCampMoneyNYC is a one-day open format conference for entrepreneurs and professionals in the finance industry. Attendees hosted panel discussions, gave product demos, and delivered topical presentations.
|Boston University School of Medicine||Boston, MA||M.A. Medical Sciences, 2001|
|Princeton University||Princeton, NJ||B.A. Chemistry, 1998|
Production and management experience with: HTML, CSS, MySQL, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Highrise CRM, Twiki, PBwiki, Google Sites Wiki, WordPress CMS, Visio, Groove, Power Point, Excel, Word, Photo.NET, Adobe Photoshop, Qintegrator, Quickbooks.