Many things come in threes, and after a lengthy hiatus, so does our little cd-swap.
Simple idea: a bunch of folks get together in small groups and swap mix CDs with one another. If you are reading this, chances are pretty good that you possess both the knowledge and hardware to “burn” a music CD (if not…) in which case you can play along with us (if you’re not so sure but you still want to play, the above link can get you started, and you’ve got at least four weeks to figure it out!).
Here’s how it works:
For people who want a theme, here’s what I will be thinking about while putting my album together. Feel free to use the same or invent your own…I think mixed themes within the groups are fun, but it always makes sense to give your actual album at least some semblance of unity.
Theme: “Where do worms go when it’s winter?”
- We’re past the solstice but the nights are still long and the days are still cold. Where do the worms go? Down baby, down. So dig deep, mix a set that you’d take with you into hibernation, songs that make you feel wrapped head to toe in a thick soft blanket you’re not leaving until someone turns the heat back on. Songs that say snuggle, songs that say it may be cold out there but it’s en fuego in here. Salsa, psychedelic trance, electroclash, medieval turkish choral…you know, surprise us.
- Songs that start one way and end another.
- Songs that make you wish you were somewhere else.
After the signup period, people will be put into groups of 4. You will then receive an e-mail from me telling you the names and addresses of the people in your group. You burn 5 identical CDs. Keep one for yourself and send three to the other people in your group plus one to me.
shouldcan have a blog if you want to. I would like this to be a fun way to connect people in the blogosphere. If you don’t, feel free to go over to Xanga or Blogspot or LiveJournal and start one for free.
- If you’re not going to follow through and make your CDs, please don’t bother signing up. It would be a shame if one or two people ruined this for their group. If you signed up last swap and didn’t send your CDs out, don’t sign up this time.
- You must live in the US or Canada.
- If you live in the US, you should be willing to ship to Canada. If you live in Canada, you should be willing to ship to the US. The postage is a teeny bit more, but nothing that’s going to break the bank.
- Remember that most people can’t play mp3s in their car, so make sure they’re something that will play in a standard car stereo. I tend to use cda or wav files. I have put together a list of Burn It resources for those not familiar with making CDs. (ed. – do your best…I think participation is better than “standards”…seems to me if you’re really into this then you’re going to find a way to hear what’s on that disc)
- Please send a copy of your cd to me as well as to the group, so that I can arbitrate any “You didn’t mail your CD!” “Yes I did!” disputes. And please remember to put your name, URL, or e-mail on your CD somewhere. I got several last time that I liked, but have no idea who sent them.
Guidlines on creating your CDs:
- Include a track listing. If someone like an artist, they might want to buy more music by them. Let us know who it is.
- Fill up the CD as much as you can. There’s 80 minutes on a blank CD. Don’t half-ass it and make a 30 minute CD.
- You should definitely use a jewel case when sending your CDs to protect it during mailing. You can get them cheap anywhere. (ed. – or reuse an old, empty one)
- I know
a lot ofsome of you people are graphically inclined, so feel free to make your CD a work of art.
- Don’t be afraid to burn “cheesy” music. If you like it, others probably will too.
- Don’t be afraid to put on music that you think no one has probably ever heard before either. Billboard or MTV may never have known this music, but you did, so that’s what counts.
If you’ve gotten this far and you still want to sign up, send an e-mail to me denshi at gmail dot com and make sure you reference the CD swap in the subject line. You must include the following information or you won’t get to play:
- Your name
- Mailing address
- Your blog URL (IF applicable)
- Your e-mail address
Sign-ups start Thursday, January 19th and continue through Thursday, February 2nd. By Monday, February 6th, I will send e-mails to everyone letting you know who is in your group. You should have all of your CDs burned and in the mail NO LATER THAN Monday, March 6th (so many dates!) This gives you a full FOUR weeks to create and ship CDs to your three group partners.
If you have any other questions, you can e-mail me at denshi at gmail dot com. Please put CDswap in the subject line. Cheers!